[TowerTalk] Canada geese

Patrick Greenlee patrick_g at windstream.net
Sat Feb 17 13:21:39 EST 2018

Bill, The boating community often recommends plastic snakes to keep
birds from roosting and pooping all over your boat.  With over 30 years
of boating experience in the San Diego California region I witnessed
lots of folks using plastic snakes.  You can tell the new guys at the
yacht club by their  new plastic snakes. Over time the birds get used to
the snakes and totally ignore them.

  I know of no long term success with plastic snakes.  Experienced
boaters I have known agreed that collectively we had never seen a long
term success using plastic snakes.   Phony owls are also touted but they
too lose effectiveness fairly rapidly.  I've seen birds perched on the
owls head pooping on it.

Geese and other birds have hearing that extends higher in freq than
normal humans.  I say normal because in my mid 20's my left ear went to
21,500 Hz and my right ear went to about 20,500 Hz.  I could hear bats
feeding, ultrasonic alarms, etc. Now I wear $6000 hearing aids from the
VA thanks to small arms fire and other loud noises.

Something that works and doesn't lose efficacy from birds getting used
to it is ultrasonics used intermittently more or less randomly unless
used with IR motion detector or other detection apparatus.  I have used
ultrasonics very successfully to keep away various pests including
birds.  Places with large flocks of geese have nice lawns "goose
greased" so badly you can't walk through without getting your shoes
messed up. I have recommended ultrasonics to lakefront home owners who
had great success with repelling their Canada geese.  The geese soon
learned to avoid that lawn and stay on his neighbors lawns farther from
the transducers.  Word spread and some of his neighbors went ultrasound
also with great success.  Only a few houses stayed unprotected, a couple
were only used a week or two a year, did not add ultrasound (that I am
aware of) but were partially protected by neighbors with ultrasound.

Geese have pretty good ultrasonic hearing.  To them bursts of high
levels of ultrasound is what having a steam whistle go off in our ear is
like. Some ultrasound pest repellent gear has selectable freq bands so
you can avoid bugging cats and dogs or include cats and dogs and they
will avoid the area too.

Decades back the lab where I worked had an oceanographic tower anchored
to the bottom of the ocean just off the coast from San Diego.  Seagulls
used it for a big bird perch and pooped all over everything on it.
Seagulls were captured and "lightly tortured" within limits of animal
cruelty organizations and their distress cries were recorded.  These
were played back at random intervals and worked pretty good but over
time lost effectiveness.  You don't get used to pain from powerful
ultrasound, it always hurts if you can hear it.

Patrick        NJ5G