[TowerTalk] Trying to test out my old 40 meter cushcraft

Dave Thompson thompson at mindspring.com
Thu Feb 22 19:38:02 EST 2018

Gang, Ray

I got a 59 foot run of RG8X from the wireman 10 years ago and added the nice 1 to 1 balun.  The first problem I had was the PL259 on the RG8X would not match up with the S)239 in the Balun. I tried a ABR 3 foot jumper that I had installed in the shack and the rG8X went into the barrel connector OK but again the jumper just would not match up with the sO238 in the balun.  I found a nice Amphenol 4 foot jumper and it works nicely with the S)239 in the balun and the barrel connector at the end of the RG8X.  Total length is 54 feet connected to the SWR bridge at the test transceiver.

First test on 7150 showed 2.4 SWR and I tuned the transceiver down and found the SWY was lowest at 7002. I moved the reflector element 10 feet away from the back side of the driven element and SWR was lowest at 7055.  I have a chain link fence about 4 feet away from the tip of the Driven element. I then figured away to lift the end up about 3 more feet and the SWR is lowest (1.  2) at 7080. I will have to hoist the element up with a rope about 10 feet (currently at 12 feet. I did check the measurements  and it is set for 7150.

I am most worried about the SO239 in the balun that may not match the tower guys new coax I got at HRO. Are others having problems with new SO239's like I am having?

If I raise the DE to 22 feet what should I see on 7150. The antenna will go up to 82 feet on the tower. I hooked the MFJ-259B to the 4 foot jumper and lowest resonance is 7160 but at just at 2 to 1. I am going to test it Friday at 22 feet but what should I see at 82 feet with the reflector in line?

Thanks for any ideas...

73 Dave K4JRB