[TowerTalk] Balanced Transmission Line

Steve Walter stevewalter90 at gmail.com
Sat Feb 24 18:10:58 EST 2018

DX Engineering sells a pair of transformers just for a long 450 ohm
transmission line.  I plan to use them for a future tower project that will
be 700' from the shack.  Currently I have around 1200' of homebrew open
wire line in the air here.  Its made of 14 awg THHN stranded and
polyethylene 1/2" water line cut to length and slit (and drilled) on the
ends.  The THHN outer nylon layer degrades and falls off but other than
that I've had no issues in seven years of exposure to the elements.  The
insulated wire is gripped by the spacers much better than bare wire.

Steve WA3A