[TowerTalk] Fw: Boom Truss Clamp (Collar, Sleeve?)

Richard Smith n6kt1 at sbcglobal.net
Tue Feb 27 21:00:14 EST 2018

I hope both links come thru this time.

----- Forwarded Message -----
 From: Richard Smith <n6kt1 at sbcglobal.net>
 To: Towertalk Reflector <towertalk at contesting.com>
 Sent: Tuesday, February 27, 2018 5:55 PM
 Subject: Boom Truss Clamp (Collar, Sleeve?)

I'm involved in planning a station on PJ4, in which some yagis will be large enough that a boom truss support will be needed. I would like to find a clamp made of aluminum for connection to the aluminum boom. I'm hoping to find a clamp that is all aluminum, or mostly aluminum (small amount of stainless steel hardware, none in direct physical contact with the boom). I have had some of my own experience, and have seen photos, of installations where a Stainless Steel or Galvanized Steel U-Bolt, Muffler Clamp, or bracket was used for attachment of a truss to a boom. Dissimilar metal (galvanic action) at the attachment point caused weakening of the boom, sometimes to the point where the boom broke.
I have been searching online for a while and the links below show clamps that are kind of close to, but not quite matching, my idea of an aluminum boom clamp for this application:
TETRIX® MAX Tubing Coupler (W39379)

|   |

http://www.leetackle.com/clampaccessories.html

If anyone has already solved this design challenge, I would appreciate if you would share the details.

Thanks and 73,
Rich, N6KT