[TowerTalk] Metal Roof

Grant Saviers grants2 at pacbell.net
Thu Jan 11 20:31:56 EST 2018

For the old style galvanized corrugated panels on my barn and shed I
added a stainless SMS about every 2' on the overlapped seam.  It was
time to paint the rusting panels so a coat of aluminum roof paint went
on top for leak protection.

For modern prefinished painted metal roof systems I think the screws may
or may not make electrical contact between the panel overlaps given the
rubber washer intended to prevent a leak.  OTOH, these seams whether
overlapped corrugations or standing seam (no screws at the seam) have a
lot of capacitance per foot of seam.  About a 2" wide overlap with two
layers of paint (10 mils each) makes a capacitance of about 500pf per ft
assuming a dielectric constant of 2.  So any diode junction rectifying
effect is shunted by this capacitance.    The screws on my new style
roof to steel purlins and wall to girts average about 1' of overlap per
screw or 500pf.  One advantage of a metal framed building is every screw
has a decent chance of grounding the panel.  They are all self drilling
so produce a good burr in the roof or wall panel and for sure are in
solid electrical contact with a purlin or girt.

How well the seam capacitance suppresses diode rectification RFI is a
good question as is what is the likely power output of such a diode.
Unsoldered copper seams sound like the devil's playground.

How to "fix" an existing roof?  The seam edge is accessible at the
gutter on my roof so a SS screw and nut, serrated lockwashers both sides
to bite thru the paint would make an electrical short at that point.
How that affects a screw a few wavelengths away at VHF/UHF is ??.  For
HF it might help.

PIM (passive intermod) avoidance is a big deal on cell towers. Amateur
radio stations excel at opportunities for PIM, so everything needs to be
considered if it is a problem.

Grant KZ1W