[TowerTalk] Kohler home generator hash?

john at kk9a.com john at kk9a.com
Tue Jan 16 07:33:03 EST 2018

Interesting post, I never knew that this existed. I have heat pumps so
there are compressor motors starting all year long.

John KK9A

Subject:Re: [TowerTalk] Kohler home generator hash?
From:	Kim Elmore <cw_de_n5op at sbcglobal.net>
Date:	Mon, 15 Jan 2018 20:10:59 -0600

FWIW, we have a small General 14 kW NG air-cooled generator with a manual
transfer switch.

As an aside, we had trouble starting our air conditioner units with it (4
ton and a 2 1/2 ton units). The start current requirements were well
beyond what it could reliably handle. But,last summer I installed some
true soft-start modules (made in Australia). The difference was
staggering: I can now start both units simultaneously without problem on
generator power and lights no longer dim when the units start on
commercial power.

Kim N5OP