[TowerTalk] Square Hole or Round Hole for Self Supporter?

jimlux jimlux at earthlink.net
Sun Jan 21 09:25:55 EST 2018

On 1/20/18 7:19 PM, john at kk9a.com wrote:
> I have round concrete bases on my all of my towers however they have guys
> and pier pin bases so there is no torque on the concrete. With a free
> standing tower there is torque, I guess you're saying that the ground
> friction of a round section of concrete is sufficient to prevent the tower
> from rotating?

Plenty, I would think. When you think of the rotation torque on a
stoplight with a arm cantilevered out over 4 lanes of traffic, and a 60
mi/hr wind blowing on it, that's a lot more than any ham tower is ever
going to see.  I don't know what the design wind speed is in our area
for that kind of thing, but I'll bet it's fairly high, since we
*observe* 60 mi/hr gusts regularly during Santa Ana conditions.