[TowerTalk] Surge Protector recommendations

EZ Rhino EZRhino at fastmovers.biz
Mon Jul 2 18:23:18 EDT 2018

HI Dick,

More information needed.  What exactly happens to your ICE stuff when they “become defective”?

Chris
KF7P

On Jul 2, 2018, at 16:01 , rlvz--- via TowerTalk <towertalk at contesting.com> wrote:

Hi Guys,

Over the years, I've noticed a "love or hate" relationship with ICE Surge protectors.  Some hams love them contending "they are better than Polyphasors at bleeding off static electricity and reducing QRN".  Others have hated them saying "they don't hold up or burn out easily".  I have used both ICE and Polyphasor brands many times and have had ICE units become defective, but perhaps they became defective by doing the intended job they were built for?

So some questions:

1) Are Polyphasors as good at bleeding off static electricity and reducing QRN as ICE's?

2) Is one better than the other when taking a direct lightning hit?

3) Is there a brand of Surge Protector that you like better than ICE or Polyphasor?

On a related matter, I was sad to discover that Polyphasors are now made in China.

Thanks and Happy 4th of July America!

73,
Dick- K9OM