[TowerTalk] M2 Orion 2800 question

Dick Allardyce (N4RA) n4ra at aol.com
Sat Jul 7 17:14:02 EDT 2018

While working on my tower yesterday I discovered a problem with my M2 Orion 2800PX rotator.  I noticed a lot or rotational freeplay.  Probably about 20 degrees.  In addition, the output shaft wobbles about its axis by about the same amount (10-20 degrees).  I didn't know I had this problem so I was under the impression that the unit was working properly.  I suppose the mast was holding the pieces together.

My question:  Has anyone had a similar problem and what might be involved to fix it?  Specifically, is this a DIY repair or will the whole unit have to go back to M2 for repair.  The Operating Instructions has a drawing of the interior that leads me to believe the internal  thrust bearing might be compromised.  That could account for the wobble, but I don't know about the rotational freeplay.

Any theories or suggestions?

Thanks

Dick
N4RA