[TowerTalk] [re: TowerTalk] 40/30 antennas on same mast

Martin Sole hs0zed at gmail.com
Mon Jul 16 02:33:28 EDT 2018

I've recently made something similar. From parts of an old KLM 4 element
20m monoband yagi with half an element missing and no need for a
monoband antenna I refurbished 3 of the very tatty elements and their
centre insulators. With the help of 4NEC2 I modelled the old 20m
reflector as a 40m dipole, extending the length by dropping about 4
metres of wire from each tip. Sort of the top half of a quad loop if you
will. I did the same for 30m using a director element and the same again
for 17m with the other director. On the 30m element I dropped about 2m
of wire from each tip and for 17m I just shortened the element to get it
resonant. The only element fed is the 40m one. 30m is spaced about 30cm
in front of the 40m element and the 17m element is spaced about 24cm
behind the 40m element. The dropped wires of the 40m and 30m elements
lower the feed-point impedance a little so it's almost a perfect 50
ohms. It's a little higher on 17m but under 1.4:1 across that band. The
wires I dropped of the 40 and 30 elements are just pvc covered 20 gauge
stranded tinned copper. I added small weights though not so much as to
add to the element droop. They move around a bit but don't affect the
swr greatly.

I was careful to try and model exactly what I would end up building and
adjusting for that accordingly. The only thing I didn't do was to
compensate for the change from aluminium to pvc covered copper on the
dropped wires. The modelling and reality converged fairly well with only
2 adjustments to the dropped wire length for each element to put it
right where I wanted it.

It is on my 80 foot tower at about 50 feet right now and I will raise it
to about 65 feet soon. The plots from my AA-230 zoom analyser don't
precisely match the modeled plots. I put that down to the local
conditions, surrounding objects etc but very very close.

I worked the KH1 expedition on 40, 30, and 17, CW SSB and FT8 where
available, I think that's the definition of a working antenna  :-)

Martin, HS0ZED