[TowerTalk] 40/30 antennas on same mast

N1BUG paul at n1bug.com
Mon Jul 16 18:02:13 EDT 2018

Herb, Yes I have but I consider that an option best left to expert
builders or those who primarily want to experiment. I am unable to
create any model which shows good SWR on two bands with that
approach. In the real world things are even more complicated with
tapered elements.

I have been working on this all day and have created a model with a
split 30 meter element suspended about one foot below the 40 meter
element and fed as a parallel dipole / fan dipole. There seems to be
no pattern distortion on either band compared to a single band
dipole. SWR is tricky but can probably be done with fixed spacing by
adjusting both element lengths. That is easier to do on the tower
than changing spacing. My model may or may not be correct but I am
leaning toward trying this configuration.

Paul