[TowerTalk] Auto tuners, Baluns and open wire feeders

jimlux jimlux at earthlink.net
Tue Jul 17 18:23:09 EDT 2018

On 7/17/18 2:34 PM, Kim Elmore wrote:
> I’ll display my benighted state by asking a question: why not place an auto-tuner at the feed point of the doublet? That way, the feed line is flat and the doublet can be any length, assuming impedance say desired frequencies are in tang of the tuner. Then, add common mode chokes at the  auto-tuner input and anywhere else desired. Won’t that do the job?
>
> Kim N5OP

That *is* a good way to do it.  There are some potential practical problems:
1) autotuner is heavy
2) so you'll mount it to some support. There's some TBD coupling between
the tuner case or innards and the support.  whether that causes a
problem is kind of hard to tell.

But "tuner at feedpoint" is probably the best overall solution.

It also kind of depends on what you're trying to do.  Recently, I've
been working with a HF receive antenna for 5-30 MHz that's a dipole 6m
long.  It turns out that if I use a 16:1 transformer into a 50 ohm
receiver, my overall system response roughly matches the curve from the
galactic background noise.  Basically, I'm presenting a 6 meter dipole
with an 800 ohm load.

Since Galactic background rises at lower frequencies (down to around 4-5
MHz), the fact that the antenna is "shorter and shorter" and gets less
sensitive just about balances out (within 1 dB).  The amplifier noise is
about 4-5 dB lower than the Galactic background, so with a pretty simple
system, I'm "Galactic noise limited"

So, no tuner required, no real matching network required, etc.
Would I use it for transmitting? Not a chance.  But for receive, its
hard to think of a simpler design (other than maybe an op amp with a
High Z load resistor on the antenna).

(For HF frequencies the galactic noise (curve D) lines up with the curve
C for "rural quiet"..  Curve E for urban is about 20dB higher.)