[TowerTalk] winch recommendations please

Dave Sublette k4to.dave at gmail.com
Mon Jul 23 12:19:20 EDT 2018

i use a trolley cable system to erect antennas.  A manual crank winch with
rachettting pall is mounted on the back of my tractor.  I tension the cable
with the winch and suspend the antenna from a pulley that rides on the
cable. The cable is 3/16" and about 250 feet long.

After only 30 years' use, the cheap, Harbor Freight winch broke (just can't
seem to get good stuff any more).

So I am thinking to replace it with an electric model having a wireless
remote control.  It won't have to be very heavy duty.  The stuff I put up
is all less than 200 pounds.

Looking at Amazon and Harbor freight, I see bunches of winches for $150 or
less that look like they would work.

Perhaps some of you have experience  (good or bad) with a particular
brand/model that you would recommend that I either use or avoid.  I would
love to see your input.

Thanks in advance.

73,

Dave, K4TO