[TowerTalk] Fw: 5 Band Yagi with more than 2 elements per band

Bryan Swadener bswadener at yahoo.com
Mon Jul 30 01:33:10 EDT 2018

Hi Rich,

After 40 years, I decided I was going to erect a big HF yagi, and wanted gain on 40m. I found a used Force12 C-4XL that has 2 linear-loaded elements (39' long) on 40m on one feedline. Another feedline is used with 2 full size elements on 20m, 2 full size elements on 15m, and 3 elements on 10m (two  of the latter are driven elements). VSWR bandwidth is about 100 kHz on 40m, and all of 20/15/10m are covered below 1.5:1. This fits on a guyed 30' boom. F12 states it works on 17 and 12m w/ a tuner. My Kenwood TS-850SAT drives it fine on 17m w/ the ATU. It drives it fine on 12m w/o the ATU. Nothing was said about 30m but, I'm able to drive it on 30m w/ the ATU. It's nice that there're no traps or loading coils to burn up.
The instructions describe it as a C3S + EF240. Mine came to me needing a few "sticks" of tubing replaced, which the seller supplied. The only thing I needed to buy was a coupla hundred "corrosion resistant" 1/8"x1/4" blind Pop rivets (McMaster-Carr).
I installed it atop my new-to-me US Tower TX-472. With the tower tilted over and using a 12' step ladder, I was just able to reach the mounting point but, nothing higher. Then, I had a eureka moment. The 2" x 30' boom on the yagi is five 6' sections, "splinted" together with short sections of larger tube + 1/4" bolts/nuts. By removing the bolts/nuts, I'm able to remove sections of boom + element(s), and tilt the tower nearly completely horizontal. An expensive tilt plate is not needed, and all antenna/tower work is performed with both feet on the ground. I have lots of tower + yagi photos on my Flickr page here: http://www.tinyurl.com/wa7prc-tower
I realize MY solution may not be what YOU need but, maybe it'll give you some ideas. Feel free to plagiarize & ask questions. Constructive comments are appreciated, too. :-)
vy 73,
Bryan WA7PRC

Date: Wed, 25 Jul 2018 07:31:13 -0500From: Richard Thorne <rthorne at rthorne.net>To: Towertalk <towertalk at contesting.com>Subject: [TowerTalk] 5 Band Yagi with more than 2 elements per band
I'm looking for a 5 band yagi (10,12,15,17 &20 meters) that has moregain than the 2 element per band designs.? I prefer no traps.
Steppir is not an option as I will use the antenna on two bands forso2r via a triplexer.
F12 used to make a 5BA, I'm not sure if JK has built one as it's notlisted on their website.
Suggestions?
Thanks
Rich - N5ZC