[TowerTalk] Towers near airports

Jim Thomson jim.thom at telus.net
Tue Jul 31 12:42:48 EDT 2018

Date: Mon, 30 Jul 2018 12:10:01 -0700
From: harold <ad7qj at hrhepner.org>
To: towertalk at contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Towers near airports

<Talk to the airport and FAA, you maybe allowed to go higher by painting
<the tower and putting lights on it.

On 7/30/2018 11:58 AM, Chris Hoelzle wrote:
> I am putting up a couple towers and the standard 100:1 glide path (tower
> free zone) does not seem to take into account where your property is in
> relation to the airport.
>
> My property is 90 degrees off the runway. Directly off the side of the
> runway.
>
> Using the calculations - I am 8650 feet from the side of the airport, it
> still seems that they want me not to exceed 86 feet in height.
>
> Have I missed something?

###  what happens if you have a bunch of  100+  foot tall fir trees, or
any other type of trees  on your property ??    Does any type of aircraft,
or  helocopter  actually fly below 100  ft ?   We have seaplanes landing here
locally downtown, yet the entire downtown, esp right on the water front is
ringed with tall condos.  Local airport has  a lot of 100 ft +  fir trees  in close proximity
to the airport.   Like hundreds of em.... but they are off to the sides.   Then we also have the helijet
terminal, located  next to the cruise ship terminal...which is also right across the street  from more tall
condos.

## Once you get into the requirement for painting and lighting the tower, then its an ongoing
maintenance issue..and also a legal liability issue.  I would not be surprised if they didnt
require UPS power to keep the lights on for short....or  extended power outages.   You may
want to think this through very very carefully  before you proceed with anything.

Jim   VE7RF