[TowerTalk] Putting up wire antennas with a drone?

Bob Shohet, KQ2M kq2m at kq2m.com
Sun Jun 17 11:02:59 EDT 2018

The “best” strategy will depend several things:

1) Proficiency with very methods:  drone, sling shot, bow and arrow, commercial alternatives, etc.
2) Importance of permanency of installation – a few days-weeks vs. months-years
3) Cost and willingness to spend “whatever it takes”
4) Immediacy of needed installation – minutes-hours or days-weeks from now?  (see #1 above)
5) Terrain and density of trees/brush around desired tree/branches
6) Height of desired tree/branch
7) Health and strength of installer
8) Weather at the time/day of installation – sunshine or rain, temperature, wind strength and direction

I am sure that there are more “degrees of freedom” that can be added, but the point is that EVERY installation will vary as will each installer and each ham that wants something to be installed.  There is no “one size fits all” and experiences will vary ENORMOUSLY!

I live in VERY dense forest.  And the weather is often a factor as is my state of health.

OTOH, I have become expert with a sling-shot and the materials are relatively easily obtainable and fairly inexpensive.  I can shoot a 2 oz weight to more 95’ vertical height in wind less than 15 mph with very good accuracy.  It generally takes me 1 hour or less to snag the right branch in the right tree with 25 lb fishing line then passing twine and then heavier twine and then 1/4” rope through the desired branch.  It is less than 1 hour if I make it on the first try and sometimes a bit more if takes 4 or 5 tries.  And it can be very frustrating at times given the density of the trees and the branches surrounding the desired branch.  But the total cost is about $2 per line.  The 10 pack of 2 oz. fishing weights are $4 and 225 yds of 25 lb test line is ~ $9.99 and the Marksmen sling shot is ~ $9.99.

If there is a lone branch on a tall tree standing by itself then it is easy and I can be done in 15 minutes.

A face shield is a MUST and I wear a thick glove on my left hand in case the weight hits off center, but this is just common sense to use.

My method would not work for 160’ tree.  But almost anything at 100’ or less could be accomplished without undue patience and concentration.  Occasionally I have to cut down a tree or two to make room for access to the desired tree, but that would have to be done for any other method in order to install an antenna.

And the sling shot can be used ANYWHERE.  Dense woods, ravines, wetlands, etc.  No problem.  Lightweight, portable and takes up very little space in a backpack.

Below 100’ there is no branch that an arborist can reach that I can’t reach with my slingshot.

The idea of putting in a pulley is great but I will suggest an alternative.  When that line goes up, attach a carabiner to one end of the rope and attach another rope to the bottom of the carabiner.  The put another rope through the carabiner and let that go up as well.  When the carabiner is in the desired place in the tree, simply secure BOTH ends of the carabiner and then pull up the other rope through the carabiner with the antenna attached.

I have used this method successfully for several wire antennas and can easily raise or lower the antenna through carabiner.  If I need to take something down, then I can simply lower the carabiner as well.

I realize that not everyone can become skilled with a slingshot and that there are other factors that may come into play, but I often get the sense that hams are overcomplicating their installations.  The old “tools” still work well with a little bit of proficiency and flexibility and forethought.  And the convenience of doing it yourself rather than having to wait for someone else’s schedule, is compelling.  As is the potentially ENORMOUS cost-saving!

I still think that having a drone and potentially being able to use it is a cool idea, but it is probably unnecessary in the vast majority of situations.

73 and GL!

Bob  KQ2M