[TowerTalk] need advice on calculating coil Q

John Keating john.keating at sbcglobal.net
Thu Mar 1 13:46:15 EST 2018

I'm attempting to characterize an antenna coil. I have a meter than can
measure at 100kHz, which indicated L = 13uH and Rs = 0.322 and Q = 25. Those
would indicate X(L) = 8.17 ohms at 100kHz. The value of L is consistent with
other measurements I did with an antenna analyzer.

Is it valid to use the value of L and Rs meaured at 100kHz for calculations
at the operating frequency of 7 MHz? I get a nonsensically high result for
Q. Suggestions appreciated.

73, John / AI6LY