[TowerTalk] add a 3rd el to 40-2cd

john at kk9a.com john at kk9a.com
Tue Mar 6 16:57:10 EST 2018

I have OptiBeam 40m antennas and when playing with a model, adding an
element really did very little. I do not recall the details but I think
some things like SWR bandwidth were even worse. You are probably better
off using the aluminum to make a Moxon

John KK9A

From:	kostas sv1dpi

In my club we have a Cushcraft 40-2cd antenna. We are very satisfied with
this antenna. Recently, one of our members, donated us a second 40-2cd. We
have not a tall tower to put them in phase (the antenna now is at
22m-72ft). We made a thought to shrink a little the reflector of the 2nd
antenna and use it as director in a 3el configuration. Do you think that
it will work? Can anyone to make a model and tell me what is the new
length of the boom and in what position we need to put the elements to
have 50 Ohms and finally which is the gain?

On behalf of SZ1A

73 Kostas SV1DPI