[TowerTalk] Screw in anchors

Jeff Whisler jwhisler33 at gmail.com
Tue Mar 13 11:49:19 EDT 2018

All,

I am rather new here.

I did put up 60 feet of Rohn 45 many years ago so I am not a complete
novice.

I am planning to erect a 70 ft Rohn 25G tower this summer.  The location is
very remote and heavily wooded.  The location makes using conventional cast
in-place re-enforced concrete anchors difficult and very expensive.  I
might be able to get a mini-excavator in to dig but I would certainly have
to use a pump truck to get the concrete in place.  $$$

I did have a comprehensive soil evaluation done for a conventional septic
system when I built the home in 2013.  In the area tested it perked for a
conventional system.  When they excavated for the foundation however they
found heavy clay and rocks.  Same when they drilled the well.

I am considering using AB Chance screw anchors or perhaps "Bust" anchors.
I realize that the book calls for the cast in place option but I am afraid
that will not be affordable.

Any constructive thoughts (pun intended) pro or con or other anchor ideas
would be most appreciated.

Jeff

WV9X--
J Whisler