[TowerTalk] HyGain Antenna Quality control issues

N1BUG paul at n1bug.com
Sat Mar 31 07:13:26 EDT 2018

I bought a TH-11DX in 2015. I had to resolder all the ring terminals
on the wires that connect the log elements to the dual tube feed
before even assembling it. There was so little solder on them I
could have pulled some of them apart. They wouldn't have lasted six
months here.

I had to be very careful not to over-tighten the worm clamps or they
stripped. I don't know if that has always been the case but I've
used many worm clamps in my day and there are much better ones out
there.

This winter I've had problems with hardware breaking on the boom
truss. I don't know if this was a QC issue or just the result of
battering from 70 mph winds back in October. Ever since then the
antenna won't stop slipping on the mast and this probably placed
unusual stresses on the truss. I think I'm going to have to replace
the boom to mast clamp this Spring.

Paul