[TowerTalk] Lightweight Antenna Wire For Portable Work?

Jim Brown jim at audiosystemsgroup.com
Fri Nov 2 14:22:22 EDT 2018

On 11/2/2018 5:56 AM, jimlux wrote:
> You can get some "highly flexible" multistrand PTFE insulated wire
> that's quite small and "limp" in fairly small gauges (#24 or smaller)

Yes, and this is very nice wire. I'm using #12 for common mode chokes.
Look for this stuff on ebay. Not cheap, but worth it.

On 11/2/2018 6:32 AM, Jon Zaimes wrote:

> I use a 33 ft. fiberglass pole to support an end-fed half-wave dipole which
> I use for portable work. The problem I'm having is that the pole bends
> considerably under the weight of the 66 foot 14 gauge wire.
Probably not as much as an inverted Vee. :)  We use a pair of these
poles mounted vertically to the top of an army surplus mast as a 40M
half wave dipole. Works great. I think we're also using #14.

#18 - #22 is a good compromise between weight and loss.

73, Jim K9YC