[TowerTalk] any chance for a qso for sweepstakes

Richard (Rick) Karlquist richard at karlquist.com
Tue Nov 6 00:12:00 EST 2018

On 11/5/2018 8:46 PM, Jim Brown wrote:

> Something I don't understand, Rick. You're running, he calls you, you
> hear him. Why turn the beam? The only times I do that (or switch
> antennas) is if he's weak and hard to copy. I've never considered
> automating my rotaters because I don't want to add to their wear and tear!

I only turn the beam if I am having trouble copying.
It is a gamble.  I have to make a judgment call.
I don't automatically turn the beam.

I also noticed that it is a risky maneuver to turn
the beam for better copy based on the QTH in the prefill.
People move!  Duh.

An interesting thing happened on 20 meters this weekend
when I heard K9YC CQing.  Reversing the beam 180 degrees did
not improve copy.  We're probably too far apart for that
to work.  I think I was copying on backscatter.  In any
event, you were not able to hear me, but I worked
you later on 80.

Rick N6RK