[TowerTalk] any chance for a qso for sweepstakes

Don w7wll at arrl.net
Tue Nov 6 13:44:52 EST 2018

Not a tower item, but an interesting thread. I was curious what the FCC
Regulations stated and how the ARRL viewed the topic. So I asked Dan
Henderson, the ARRL Reg Info Manager. What he says mirrors what I've
read on DX blogs.

"/Hey Don/

//

/ The core is Part 97.119./

//

/In territory where the FCC regulates amateur radio (which includes KP2,
KP4, etc) a US licensee in only required to give their FCC assigned
callsign.  You are not required by the FCC to sign portable or mobile,
etc.  You may choose to do so, but it isn’t required. It would be as
legal for me to sign N1ND in Hawaii as it would for me to sign
N1ND/KH6.  A foreign licensee operating under reciprocity per 97.107
does have to identify with an identifier per 97.119./

//

///You won’t find it spelled out that specifically in Part 97.  They
don’t say what it is not required – they simply say what is required.
The core is Part 97.119./"

So, it appears the only place the slant or portable designation is
required is where it involves reciprocal operating authority as outlined
in FCC 97-107.

It seems this does not preclude a requirement by a contesting group for
a particular contest to require the entry of the slash or portable
designation when scoring is based on the DXCC designation of places like
Alaska (KL/W1XXX), Hawaii (KHx/W1XXX), etc.(so what may be received may
be entered differently in the logging program).

My example is based on their only being one KL entity, unlike KH which
has several.

But I could be wrong re the contest setups, not well versed on them.

Don W7WLL