[TowerTalk] TowerTalk Digest, Vol 191, Issue 11

Drew Vonada-Smith drew at whisperingwoods.org
Fri Nov 9 12:55:17 EST 2018

John,

My experience over 10+ years with the amp is that A2000 faults are a pain, but always end up identifying real issues.  I have found bad UHF F-F adapters, almost shorted PL259 terminations, carbon tracks in coax flying leads, corroded SO239 center pins, bad baluns, and a few other things.  If the fault goes away with a dummy load, there is something on the other side of that connection that is normally OK but breaks down at power.  Sometimes they will be arcs that are very brief and you'd never otherwise notice...a typical amp will ignore them.  Check all adapters and all solder terminations, including the center connection of the dipole and any balun used.  If you cant find anything, take the next step....cut off and reterminate all junction points.  Replace coax that has been crushed or too tightly radiused.

Paying attention to the A2000 complaints over the years has created work, but improved the reliability of my station.

73,
Drew K3PA

Message: 1