[TowerTalk] SteppIR wear out & Vertical question

john at kk9a.com john at kk9a.com
Fri Nov 16 13:12:27 EST 2018

Also with a conventional multiband antenna you can operate on more than
one band simultaneously which is very useful in contesting.

John KK9A

From:	K9OM
Date:	Fri, 16 Nov 2018 12:18:34 -0500

My BigIR vertical worked well for aprx. 14 years but now the EHU has a major
problem and needs repair or replacement.  That said, the BigIR was only
installed during the winter months so it's actual time of use was aprx. 7
years.   I guess it's a reminder that mechanical things wear out.  I enjoyed
the BigIR while it operated and it was a good omni-directional Multiplier
antenna, though the band changes were time consuming.  I'm now seriously
considering replacing it with monoband verticals or a multi-band vertical
such
as a HyGain Hy-Tower as there are no moving parts to break down and it has
instant band changes.  Any recommendations for multi-band verticals?   I
realize Yagi's have more gain and I use them, but a Vertical at the edge
of the
saltwater river works pretty well too and radiates in all directions.

73,
Dick- K9OM