[TowerTalk] feedpoint choke for inv L

Wes Stewart wes_n7ws at triconet.org
Tue Nov 20 18:02:54 EST 2018

I have too few (~20) insulated, 55 foot long on-the-ground radials under my 55'
high inverted-L.  In my desert conditions, running radials is quite literally a
pain, but I will add more as time permits. There are also a number of bare-wire
buried radials left over from an 80-meter project.  I have however, disconnected
them with the idea that I am trying to collect displacement currents and return
them to the base without loss in the soil.

That said, and with deference to Rudy, whose papers fill a folder on my hard
drive, I still have a lightning ground consisting of four buried 2 AWG bare
wires from the radial plate to four 8' ground rods on 16' centers. So there is a
combination of radials and an earth connection.  I wouldn't have it any other way.

Furthermore, the Heliax transmission line lays on the ground and there isn't a
piece of ferrite anywhere in my station, except for the molded on ones on a few
computer interconnects and the bead balun on my inverted-V.  And... I use this
antenna for both TX and RX and I hear as well as, or better, than I can get out
using 500W.

Wes  N7WS