[TowerTalk] synchro to RS232

Martin Sole hs0zed at gmail.com
Tue Nov 20 21:09:33 EST 2018

Jim (and others),

I'm moving away from the selsyn idea I think. I've had some good
encouragement from Jeff at Green Heron and I think there are better
alternatives today, without getting too fancy. My current plan is to
replace the large gear sprocket that drives the selsyn with a smaller
one that will then allow me to use a 3 turn potentiometer with an
acceptable degree of resolution. The chain driving the selsyn is
apparently a No.25 roller chain so fairly common.

In part this is to try and reduce the amount of copper between shack and
tower. The Telrex rotator uses 12 conductors and I'm hoping to get that
down to 6 maximum. Should be possible by doing the limit switch and
reversal switching with some relays tower side.

You asked how common synchro/selsyns in ham applications might be. My
guess is not as much as they probably were 30 years ago. Rotators were
probably the biggest use. I guess they could have found use as a sort of
crude remote tuning system. I presume they were also used in weather
vane wind direction indicators.

I'm still interested to be able to read one with a modern device, an
Arduino would be the ideal I think but as you have noted in another post
the AC needs to be addressed. Can that not simple be done by providing,
externally, a DC offset so the result is just a sinusoidally varying
signal from near zero to the 5v Arduino maximum? I think this would only
need to be a block of code or a small library that could be used in
different applications.

Martin, HS0ZED