[TowerTalk] Stripping rg142

jimlux jimlux at earthlink.net
Sat Nov 24 12:36:50 EST 2018

On 11/24/18 8:37 AM, WW3S wrote:
> What’s the best way to strip this in preparation of crimp connectors

If you have a multiblade coax stripper, that's the best way, after you
burn through a foot or three of scrap getting the blades set just right.
RG-142 is moderately floppy (0.2" diameter), but it's not as bad as
something like RG-174 (0.1" diameter)  If you put it in the refrigerator
(or outside in some parts of the country this time of year) it gets
stiffer, and it's easier to run the stripper on it.

The other handheld approach is a thermal stripper (the kind with the two
flat blades that get hot), or very careful work with an X-acto knife.

Having a little template printed out or marked with the lengths you need
is really helpful.  I cut the outer jacket and shields first. Then trim
the outer jacket back. Finally, I strip the center conductor.

Your crimp connector drawing will tell you - some crimp connectors have
the outer jacket and shield at the same length, and the connector sort
of shoves down inside the shield, stretching the shields and outer jacket.