[TowerTalk] Stripping rg142

jimlux jimlux at earthlink.net
Sun Nov 25 11:45:26 EST 2018

On 11/25/18 7:41 AM, Jim W7RY wrote:
> Yup. Burning teflon produces phosgine gas. Which is pretty toxic I hear?
> Jim w7ry

Well, technically, no phosgene (carbonyl chloride), because there's only
Fluorine in PTFE, no Chlorine - you get carbonyl fluoride.

PVC, on the other hand, has plenty of Chlorine.

But there's plenty of other nasty stuff that comes off burning plastic
of all kinds - but it's not huge amounts. Occupational exposure on a
regular basis might be an issue - same thing applies to smoke from rosin
and more modern fluxes.

I think it was more the "cleanliness of cut" is better with modern
spinning knife cutters (whether a single blade spin with your finger, or
a motorized one).