[TowerTalk] Tower Anchor Bolt source

JVarney jvarn359 at gmail.com
Fri Nov 30 12:30:56 EST 2018

Howie / WA4PSC wrote:

>> I would appreciate leads to good sources for
>> 1-1/8" x 27" tower anchor bolts.

It is critical that when buying anchor bolts that you specify and
require they meet the ASTM F1554 specification.  F1554 pertains
to structural steel bolts embedded in concrete.

I helped some local hams with custom designs and permits. I found
that suppliers commonly carry large bolts in A36 steel but not
F1554.  What I recall is the hams had the bolts fabricated from F1554
stock, with a nut tack welded on one end, and then  hot dip
galvanized.  Google "F1554 bolts" and  you'll find some fabricators
who can make and ship to order.  Shop around, prices vary.

I concur with Jim VE7RF -- it is critical that anchor bolts be done
correctly.  In a freestanding tower ALL of the tower's forces and
stresses are carried by the bolts and transferred to the tower
base.  Not just any old plain steel bolt will do.

73 Jim K6OK