[TowerTalk] thrust bearings

k7lxc at aol.com k7lxc at aol.com
Sat Oct 6 14:40:57 EDT 2018

>  I have used Rohn TB3 thrust bearings in the past without issue but I have seen my fair share of worn out? bearings due mainly to an antenna being parked in one direction for a long time- pitted races were the result. I've no experience with anything else and that brings me to my question. Is there something better out there? DXE claims an improvement over the Rohn bearing but it looks as all they did was add a lower seal. I'm leery of Yaesu if the bearings are made from the same pot metal as their rotor mast clamps. Bearing recommendations for an installation with a 2" mast? with about 8' above the bearing and 2' below and an antenna along the lines of JK's C3S antenna are sought.
    Are you sure you need one? Most folks use a TB to minimize the vertical weight on the rotator when they actually need some preload to seat the bearings. With that in mind, you don't even need a bearing to handle the horizontal wind forces, just some sort of bushing. I've used different materials for that including wood and plastic which in any case is much cheaper than any commercial thrust bearing. I'm just saying.

Cheers,Steve     K7LXCTOWER TECH