[TowerTalk] TowerTalk Digest, Vol 190, Issue 5

Grant Saviers grants2 at pacbell.net
Tue Oct 9 00:58:31 EDT 2018

The "no training" was one reason why I was told Phillystran no longer
sells the socket kits except to the military which apparently has a
training program.

However, after I did a lot of research about kevlar and epoxies, sawed a
commercial Philly socket in half, and potted some and tested them it all
worked out.  One difficulty is the fixturing to keep the cable
absolutely straight into the socket.  Another challenge is to keep the
epoxy in the socket when poured so I made fixtures for both of these
issues, and made 12 guys, potted Spelter sockets both ends.

So even cheap old Philly is not much of a bargain when all that work is
considered plus the cost of the sockets ($60 ea for 24k# Crosby closed
sockets, 2014).

Grant KZ1W