[TowerTalk] Learning from Tragedies

Dennis OConnor ad4hk2004 at yahoo.com
Sat Oct 13 14:18:23 EDT 2018

I have built 25G up to 150 feet in 30 foot increments between the permanent guys.  I always rope guy near the top of the section I am standing on while I am setting the next section. Then every 30 feet I install the permanent guys with enough tension to make the tower stable (and straight by eye).  Final leveling is done with a surveyors instrument.
So the drill is, set a section and bolt it, stand one rung (or two) up on the free standing section and move the rope guys to the second rung below the top by reaching up,  move the gin pole and pull the next section.  I use J hooks on the rope guys so it is a one second stretch-up to move each rope  and the ground crew then gently tightens the ropes and ties them off. . No need to be bolting, clamps, or such stuff for the ropes.I am careful not to swing my weight around while I am standing just above the free standing two sections and moving the ropes up on the third. By being methodical I have never had a scary moment.

denny / k8do