[TowerTalk] Learning from tragedies

Wayne Kline w3ea at hotmail.com
Sat Oct 20 20:39:21 EDT 2018

John,

Been reading this thread with sadness and wonder.      I have tested PPL ( preform line products )   5/16” , ¼” and  3/16 “   Rohn  EHS strand. And every test the  EHS stretched and failed  before

The PLP grip  failed,   only in one test where I used a  3/8 dia. Rod at the  radius in the PPL and not the recommended  Thimble Dia  did the PPL  stands start to stretch and  fracture .

As for  Shackles when first  reported  as a failure  either  screw in or  through shoulder bolt with threaded end .  I have personally used in tower erections  and also  in securing heavy equipment  for crane   and Helicopter lifts  With  steel cable, chain  hooks, and Kevlar straps.    In MPO there safety ratings are at a factor  2X .

So  the court is OUT  in determining it’s failure ???

Wayne  W3EA