[TowerTalk] End Fed Half Wave Noise Remedy

Tony dxdx at optonline.net
Sun Oct 21 15:31:51 EDT 2018

All:

I use an end-fed half wave for portable work and was wondering what the
most effective way would be to reduce the ingress of feed-line noise?
I've compared it to a resonant center fed dipole in the field and found
the receiver noise to be higher on the end-fed: same location with the
same feed line.

I've tried a single choke at different lengths along the feed line which
does seem to reduce the noise to some extent, but I'm wondering if
adding several chokes at some specific interval would be more effective.

The antenna is usually deployed with one end in a tree with the
feed-point a few feet off the ground. I suspect that grounding the feed
line at the feed point would help, but a ground rod is not particle in
the field.

Thanks,

Tony