[TowerTalk] Split Loom as an anti-critter device?

Steve Maki lists at oakcom.org
Wed Oct 31 19:43:33 EDT 2018

On 10/31/18 19:04 PM, Scott Townley wrote:

> New to the Northeast, and all the critters that eat...well, everything
> when it gets cold enough.
>
> I am planning on running a length of FSJ-4 (1/2" Andrews superflex) from
> the house to the end of the back yard.  In the spring I will bury it,
> but until then it needs to sit on top of the lawn.  I worry about
> something eating through it--although it's pretty hefty for something to
> chew on, it wouldn't surprise me.
>
> I was thinking I'd put the cable in say a 1" or 1-1/2" split cable loom,
> just as an extra cover to fend off teeth.  Dumb? Unnecessary?  What does
> the Collective Wisdom say?

Superflex style cables, where the shield is a spiral configuration
rather than corrugated, is not a good choice for outdoor use. If water
gets under the jacket either from the ends or thru a jacket penetration,
it will run end to end, get into the connectors, and ruin the cable.

The jacket is thin to help with the flexibility, but is easily damaged.
Great for indoor jumpers - not much else.

Use LDF4 if you can.

-Steve K8LX

-