[TowerTalk] Advise needed on phased beverages

jimlux jimlux at earthlink.net
Tue Sep 11 10:10:19 EDT 2018

On 9/11/18 6:19 AM, Tonno Vahk wrote:
> Jim, yes, I suspected they might interact of course. But can I avoid it?
> ungrounding both ends of the unused beverage would also not eliminate
> coupling I am afraid?

Exactly... no convenient way to change it in the field.

A model can tell - run the model with the wire in and wire not in and
see what the difference is.

> Height is ca 2m +/- 0.5m.
>
> I did not model switching in any other way than simply creating
> feedpoint for both beverages. No feedlines in the model. Could such long
> feedlines even if the same length, create a trouble?

Sure - the feedline is an impedance transformer, so it changes the
impedance at the feed end of the antenna. For instance, if it were a
quarter wavelength (or an odd multiple), if you short the shack end,
it's an open at the antenna end, and vice versa.

I'm not sure how sensitive a beverage is to end termination impedance.

If you're using NEC or a derivative, you can put a TL card or NT card in
to do the transmission line and the model will show the effect.