[TowerTalk] Rohn EP instructions: "Stake all nuts"; what does it mean?

jimlux jimlux at earthlink.net
Sun Sep 16 15:26:09 EDT 2018

On 9/16/18 11:12 AM, Richard (Rick) Karlquist wrote:

> What does "stake all nuts" refer to????
> I am imagining whacking them with a hammer or
> something ... but that can't be right?

One approach is to deform the threads - just enough to keep the nut from
backing off. A punch at the join between bolt and nut will work.

However, these days, there are better approaches - use some epoxy or
threadlocker - There's types of Loctite that is designed to be applied
before you assemble, let it dry, then assemble. Or kinds designed to be
applied while you assemble (wet), or some that wicks in afterwards.

At JPL, we stake fasteners two ways - one is using something like
solithane - a drop on the fastener threads, then assemble. It is sticky,
so it prevents the screw coming out under vibe.

Solithane can cure at high temps fairly quickly, or at room temp over
some amount of time. Assembling a tower I don't think you'll have an
issue with cure time.

The other is a blob of epoxy on the head of the screw, or the nut, and
the chassis or structural member. We use 2216 which is a gray two part
that cures at room temperature. It's fairly soft when cured, so it can
be scraped off.