[TowerTalk] "Stake all nuts"; what does it mean?

Grant Saviers grants2 at pacbell.net
Mon Sep 17 13:10:09 EDT 2018

Antennas are usually not high vibration environments, unless they
buzz/vibrate in the wind.  Then it matters much more how secure are the
fastening parts.  Another factor I consider is the downside of a failed
connection.  An element falling off is different then a tower coming
down.  Perhaps there are life safety connections such as wire locked
safety nuts in aircraft, but I haven't gone that far.

Nylocks seem to work fine for all of my antenna connections from tip to
mast.  For tower legs I'm using Nord-Locks on the plate connections of
Rohn 65 where a failure is not so good.  The Nord-Lock test video is at
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IKwWu2w1gGk

IMO, tightening to the torque spec for the grade of fastener and then
re-torquing a day or two later is the best way to keep stuff together.
Consider that structural steel framing bolts have no locking means, they
are just torqued to the max.  A problem though is so many antenna
fasteners can't be so torqued properly since the elements deform.  In
that case I think UV resistant nylocks are the choice (or at least all
nuts on the underside)

Grant KZ1W