[TowerTalk] Pacemaker

James C. Hall, MD heartdoc at nwtcc.com
Tue Sep 18 20:56:41 EDT 2018

Russ:

Jim is quite correct. The modern day pacemaker, of which I implant fairly frequently, is well shielded and not susceptible to frequencies discussed. It is also not susceptible to microwaves coming from the kitchen, even if you have your chest right up on the oven.

Recommendations are to avoid impulse type energy such as that emanated from 2-stroke engines such as chainsaws. The weird one as far as recommendations is cell phones - it is recommended that you use the opposite ear from the side the pacemaker is implanted. I guess they assumesomething is between the ears that will attenuate adequately ! :) If you are not pacemaker dependent, you won't have to worry about this.

I implant one tomorrow morning, in fact.

73, Jamie
WB4YDL