[TowerTalk] Pacemaker

Jim Brown jim at audiosystemsgroup.com
Wed Sep 19 14:05:36 EDT 2018

On 9/19/2018 6:37 AM, Peter Voelpel wrote:
> Are you kidding?
>
> I would always prefer Spinner, RFS, Huber&Suhner etc. against Amphenol.

That's because you live in EU. EU and NA are very different markets for
some products. Neutrik makes high quality audio connectors that ARE
distributed here, ARE price-competitive with Switchcraft, the major mfr
here, and equal to or better than Switchcraft.

Huber and Suhner connectors are an order of magnitude more expensive
than Amphenol, and not widely distributed in NA. The RFS connectors I've
seen here are intended for use at VHF/UHF and with hard line. I've never
heard of Spinner.  Mouser, a major distributor here, lists Huber and
Suhner connectors, but only crimp-type in the UHF family.  I would pay
$23 each for an H&S crimp UHF male in lots of 50 or more, compared to
about $3.50 for that quantity of Amphenol 83-1SP (silver plated,
solder).  Plus tax of about 9% plus shipping.  I recently bought 100
connectors to rewire 50 ohm patching for antenna switching inside my
shack. For the difference in cost I could buy a very nice radio!

Many of us with serious antenna farms use 1/2-in or 7/8-in hard line
(RFS, Andrew) for long runs to our HF antennas, and most of us buy both
the cable and the connectors from either the used or "end of spool"
market. ALL of my hard line and hard line connectors were bought that way.

73, Jim K9YC