[TowerTalk] T2X rotor problem info

john at kk9a.com john at kk9a.com
Thu Sep 27 21:42:04 EDT 2018

How was he able to turn the beams by hand with the rotator connected?

John KK9A

To:	towertalk at contesting.com
From:	Dave Thompson
Date:	Thu, 27 Sep 2018 13:48:12 -0400 (GMT-04:00)

  Gang,  I got new manual and pin out from Ken Goodwin and here is what
happened to my rotor.

 Thanks Ken for the manuals and rotor unit pin out.  I plan on getting the
two
manuals I have (both are older CDE manuals and compare and pull new info in
the
later Telex/Hy-Gain manual.  I plan to check out the rotor from the shack by

following the test procedures.  The start capacitor in the control box was
new
in 2006 as supplied by the late Bill Wall KC4UZ who owned Antenna mart at
that
time.

The 40 meter beam was installed and the rotor had to be rewired on the tower
mount it on the DX Engineering plate below the DX Engineering thrust
bearing.
The tower man had me rotate the T2X to indicate North and he rotor moved
smoothly from the last position to North.  Then the mast was tightened up
and
the lower beam was installed.  A tree man was present and turned the
antennas
by hand through 360 degrees o determine which tree branches might interfere
with rotation.  He found two tree branches that seemed to be in the way of
rotation of the top antenna at 80 feet which was the 2 el Cushcraft 40.  My
mistake was not to try and rotate the beams right then.  After the tower
crew
left I decided to move the beams to the NNE which would have allowed me to
work
a few stations while awaiting the tree man to come back with his chain saw
and
helper to clear the branches.

I tried turning the rotor from North by east and nothing happened but I
could
hear the motor start.  I then turned it West and it rotated to about 350
degrees but then the direction indicator went to South by West (cut off) and

the motor starts by no further rotation occurred.

I will also forward this to towertalk for their ideas.  I will test out the
rotor from the ground as per the manual. Ideas on what the problem might be
appreciated. I am hoping this is just a problem with the rewiring of the
terminal strip on the tower as no previous problem with rotation and no
brake
lock up.

73 Dave K4JRB
.