[TowerTalk] Tower foundation and bedrock

Wes wes_n7ws at triconet.org
Thu Apr 11 02:07:32 EDT 2019

My first wife's father operated a marble quarry a few miles east of Tucson.  He
blasted all of the time.  Once he asked me to pick up a case of dynamite for him
from Apache Powder Company near Benson, AZ.  To show how times have changed, I
drove down in my new 1969 Plymouth Roadrunner and they loaded me up and slapped
a big sign on the trunk shouting "Explosives Class A".  I drove back to Tucson
down I-10 with everyone giving me a wide berth.

Even earlier in my youth a friend of my dad was one of the two well drillers in
S. Arizona. He always had some dynamite around.  He had homesteaded a ranch in
Sonoita, AZ and in those days there was no electricity; just an outhouse, a
propane refrigerator and wood cook stove.  I spent a lot of weekends and some
summers down there working cattle, helping drill wells, climbing windmill towers
and cutting wood.  A couple of his sons and I would be tasked with this and to
"speed up" the process, it wasn't unheard of to take a 1/4 stick of dynamite to
a scrub Oak tree and reduce it to manageable pieces.

Wes  N7WS