[TowerTalk] Tarnished connectors

Wes wes_n7ws at triconet.org
Tue Aug 20 19:16:05 EDT 2019

I agree.  Also when going to gold, most  (all)  commercial plating shops will
put down a nickle barrier on the base metal then plate with gold.  If the gold
is too thin and the skin depth too deep, your gold surface is RF wise, actually
nickle.

I once designed a test station for X-band IMPATT diodes and we built the
prototype 1/4-height waveguide oscillator in-house and did our own plating in
the model shop.  Since we were going to calibrate and supply a number of these
to our IMPATT vendors, we had the design replicated and sent the plating job to
an outside vendor.  If you simply specify minimum total plating thickness, you
get lots of nickle and a flash of gold.  It took lots of hours to figure out why
we weren't getting any power output.

If the connectors are silver, I use Tarn-X to brighten them.

Wes N7WS