[TowerTalk] Concrete

David Gilbert xdavid at cis-broadband.com
Mon Aug 26 17:48:25 EDT 2019

"Slump" is a common term in the concrete industry and there is a spec
for it.  Usually it is measured by putting a truncated cone of it on a
flat surface and measuring how many inches the top of the cone sags.

And yes, it is essentially a measure of how much water was used in the
mix, although the Portland cement content also has some influence.  It
takes VERY little water to facilitate the chemical reaction that creates
hard concrete, but water is also normally necessary to make the stuff
flow where you want it to go so it is a tradoff.  I've seen videos of
machines laying concrete for highways, and that stuff is so stiff that
they essentially pack it into place.  They can get 10,000 PSI out of it
that way, though.

Excess water in concrete diminishes the ultimate strength of the
concrete.  Whatever water that isn't needed for the chemical reaction
ultimately goes away, leaving microscopic voids that diminish the
overall compressive strength since air doesn't hold up much unless it is
moving.  It is possible to get concrete with the spec'd amount of
Portland cement that still never meets rated strength simply because
either the driver or the concrete company decided to make their job easier.

Some Google searching can give you charts of compressive strength versus
both water content and amount of Portland cement per cubic yard, but
most of us don't have much ability to check what we're actually
getting.  Other than the slump test, that is.  You can find charts for
that as well.

73,
Dave   AB7E