[TowerTalk] DOT- USCG Tower Manual

Mac libbysales at austin.rr.com
Thu Aug 29 10:38:01 EDT 2019

I did what Roger has done as well,  just a belt safety strap and bag of
lamps near a 700' Microwave tower in the Dallas area [ in my misspent
youth] it paid in the early 70's a $1.00 a foot one way, or .50 round
trip,  had the jumbo ass size lamps got past the microwave dish's and
they would turn them off for the time i was at or near the face going up
or down. when i arrived at the top and last few to change, for fun and
"look see" i tossed over a few of the ones i had replaced.

Safely back on the ground and getting all done and expecting payment as
agreed, the manager asked why i was short 2 lamps, i told him, he smiled
and said he was unsure but would have to now wait till dark to be sure
ALL the lighting was working, and made a point of showing his distrust
of my casual 'tossing' .

I scurried out into the field and recovered the two i had tossed and
brought back the base's wherein they were date coded and scratched with
month and yr , he still made me wait a week to get paid, yes i learned,
but more a memory than a real lesson.

Again my mis-spent youth and needing a quick infusion of cash, not
withstanding my age but more Wisdom, I'd no more do that today than fly
to the moon.

mac/mc  w5mc