[TowerTalk] DOT- USCG Tower Manual

Joe Subich, W4TV lists at subich.com
Thu Aug 29 12:08:50 EDT 2019

Been there ...

Back about 1980 or so I was at a TV station in Columbus Ohio.  We
monitored a couple translators with an antenna around 800' on the
1200' main tower.  The preamp and down converter for the monitor
receiver were at the antenna and when lightning took them out, I
put replacements in a back pack, grabbed a "safety belt" (really
a positioning belt) and up the tower I went.

Not something I would ever care to repeat as the weight of the pack
on my back made things much more difficult but I was young and stupid
back then.

I did have a chance to go topside on a 1600' tower in Orlando several
years later (to inspect branch lines on a TV transmit antenna) but
that one was an elevator ride.

73,

    ... Joe, W4TV