[TowerTalk] Homemade portable mast

Jim Brown jim at audiosystemsgroup.com
Thu Aug 29 22:19:56 EDT 2019

On 8/29/2019 4:22 PM, Keith Dutson wrote:
> I doubt the aluminum poles will support that beam.  I tried to put up a Force 12 C3 at 20 feet for field day, but the poles had too much flex and bent like a wet noodle.

How high were you trying to go? How did you support the mast? For years,
we've used the Al mast sections with a tripod fitting to rig a C3SS at
30 ft or so for FD, 7QP, CQP. Photos in k9yc.com/7QP.pdf  Once in the
air, we guy it. W6GJB found a vendor selling the tripod fittings at
Dayton one year. As I recall, this was one of the tricks that K7JA
showed in talk at Visalia or Pacificon that was a collection of good
ideas. W6GJB is a pilot, and he found some real neat fittings that can
be driven into almost any ground to tie down small aircraft. I think
google for tiedown or tydown.

73, Jim K9YC