[TowerTalk] Masting source

Gedas w8bya at mchsi.com
Sat Dec 28 17:37:04 EST 2019

If you happen to live in a rural area or out in the country you tend to
get to know all the metal fabricators, welders, trucking firms, etc in
your area. I am very luck to have met a welder who is more then happy to
sell me Aluminum tubing at his cost. It takes a week or two to arrive
and he just tacks on my puny order with his normal steel and Aluminum he
orders for his normal business that arrives on a huge flat bed semi.

Several years back I ordered two 21' (or 22' I cannot remember) 1/4"
thick 6061-T6 Aluminum tubing for $120/ea. I strapped them down to my
roof, turned on my 4-way flashers and drove several miles down a country
road amongst the corn fields. Drilled holes in each end of the tubes and
roped the snot out of them to my vehicle. They never moved 1/4".

Once I got them home I drove in a 10' length of 1-1/4" thin-wall EMT
into the "bottom" section of each 21' length which then goes down into
my tower tops and into my TT rotors. The EMT helps stiffen up the
Aluminum esp at the very top of the tower where the mast would want to bend.

Once I am done I end up with 15' of mast outside of the tower, ~6' to 7'
inside the tower. One tower is used for VHF antennas the other for
supporting a couple pulleys for holding up wire antennas etc. Here is a
snap shot of the masts getting home.

https://w8bya.com/Gallery/HAM_RADIO/MISC/images/IMG_9355a.jpg

Gedas, W8BYA

Gallery at http://w8bya.com