[TowerTalk] Slightly off-topic

Steve Lott lottsphoto at gmail.com
Fri Feb 8 11:02:22 EST 2019

I am guessing that the 60 Hz

AC is coming into the audio filter through the DC power supply cord

Since you suspect the above
Why not use a 12 volt battery in place of a dc power supply at that point
to confirm your suspensions

Steve

On Fri, Feb 8, 2019 at 9:53 AM Brad Anbro <n9en at live.com> wrote:

> ​Hello all,
>

> I have a problem which has me completely baffled. I am attempting to use
>
> a Bencher "XZ-2" audio filter, in conjunction with my early-model Yaesu
>
> FT-1000MP. When I move my HF antennas with the control box that powers
>
> a Tailtwister rotator, I get a very loud 60-Hz hum in my headphones. Even
>
> when I only depress the brake release lever on the control box, it still
>
> produces a hum.
>

> So far, I have tried electrically isolating the grounds for both the
> rotator
>
> control box and the Astron DC power supply, which supplies DC power to
>
> the audio filter (and other devices). None of this has helped.
>

> I have found that if I plug my headphones directly into the headphone jack
>
> of the HF rig, there is no hum whatsoever. I am guessing that the 60 Hz
>
> AC is coming into the audio filter through the DC power supply cord. If
>
> this is actually the case, I don't know what to do about it to solve the
>
> problem.
>

> Any ideas or help with my problem would be most welcome. Thank you!
>

> 73,
>
> Brad Anbro, N9EN
>
> Bluff City, Tennessee

​*Steven Lott Smith - Your Candidate for NTX Section manager*
*I will bring more Information & Education to my fellow North Texas ARRL
Members*
*"Education - the way for ​our​ Section with active amateurs to have More
fun and Enjoy our great hobby"*
http://sdxa.blogspot.com/
​KG5VK Blog​
http://www.KG5VK.com